Monday, March 9, 2009

My little babies...

Oh man oh man oh man.... these little kids are breaking my heart. But what a contradiction! One minute I'm wishing they would just grow up so we didn't have to deal with all the little breakdowns and tantrums (and that applies to JAM just as much as with the babies) and the next I'm wishing I could just hold their little bodies forever. All of them are growing so quickly - JAM with his monster adult front teeth, Red making new best friends wherever she goes, Pudge being able to climb to the top of the little play slide we've got out back... It is just killing me.

Yesterday, as I was hip-deep in trying to get my annotated bibliography done for class (not sure if I mentioned this, I'm going for another masters - this time a Master of Science in Management: Human Resource Management at UMUC) Red strolls downstairs after she woke up from nap. As she was sitting on the couch next to me, all sleepy eyed still, she sat straight up, her little hands on her knees and she started asking me something all serious like. The look in her eyes was one of such intense clarity, she was all into her thought, so grownup-like. There is a difference in her now, she's moving past that baby-like constant zooming from one thought to the next. She can settle her mind and really think about things now. Just last night Wifey and I were quizzing her on the names of people but asking her by asking about the relationships - like who's (friend) M's little brother? Or who's Pudge's older sister (a huge smile and a yell - RED!!!!!, although she doesn't refer to herself by Red of course :) ). She's so big.

Anyhow, as she was sitting on the couch, looking all grown up for a second, I just had to put everything else down, lay down on the couch next to her, and grab her for an extended snuggle. And you know what? She didn't even try to get away. I told her that I loved her and that pretty soon she was going to be too big for me to snuggle with like that and she just giggled. I love how she desperately wants to be a "big kid" but whenever we talk about it she just giggles like it is too silly to think about. I wanted to hold her forever but the next best thing is to write about it so I can save it that way. I love these little kids just the way they are - but I can't wait for them to grow up and get the hell out of my house. :)

As I was telling my colleague about our weekend, and relating the party we went to up with Orange's family, she instantly thought of a song she wanted to share with me. This is the same woman who turned me on to this video from a little ways back...

Although Darius is singing about his little girl, I couldn't help think about all of my babies, including my precious K who is getting much too old for me to comprehend, and the tears were hard to hold back.

Enjoy -

1 comment:

morninglight mama said...

Yeah, apparently I needed a good sob this afternoon...