Friday, January 4, 2008

Annoyance

I used to teach high school students web design, from the basic HTML all the way through complex and advanced web techniques, as they were 4-5 years ago. So, I am pretty well skilled in the basics of web design, although I would not consider myself a true web geek like some of these people who can code database driven sites in their sleep. The reason I bring this up is that I have a deeply ingrained dislike for do-it-for-you sites like our very own blogger. When teachers jumped on the bandwagon of sites that would make pages for them, or even worse, tools like Blackboard, I stuck my nose in the air and continued to create my site in Dreamweaver one page at a time. Yeah, countless hours of my life went into that. But, the result was good - I was in full control of the content and design of the site and I knew that everything would work when I was done. I could post anything I wanted to, make changes to the templates of my pages to enact wholesale change to my site, and upload again in a matter of minutes.

Why am I bringing this up? Because I can't get a damn animated gif to load as my header in this godforsaken site. I made sure my image worked, I am not that stupid. I even went to try to toy around with the template code but hell if I can figure out where to mess with. The code that the template creates (when I view source on the page) and the code in the template itself are obviously not the same. Not sure if I've gotten this right, but I've gone into some of the help message boards and it seems that the image service blogger used to host uploaded images doesn't like animated gifs. What kind of image site doesn't like animated gifs???? What makes it worse is that I had to try to use an animated gif after I found out, the hard way, that blogger doesn't like flash files in their headers. This is exactly the reason I used to code my pages myself, so I didn't have stupid do-it-for-you sites letting me down.

Breath and move on.....

No comments: