Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Field Trips

Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to accompany JAM and his class to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It had been so long since I had been on a field trip, and although wifey and I both had the distinct feeling that I was given a particularly challenging group of students to chaperone, I had a really great time. My background being in education afforded me a great opportunity to spend time with these four second graders and work with them to understand what they were seeing. I take what I know for granted far too often, not realizing how many learning opportunities there are when spending time with JAM. We spoke about why certain fish were doing that, or why certain sharks could or couldn't be kept at the aquarium. The dolphin show was wonderful as we learned about training and care of dolphins and how people and our affect on the environment affects all other animals.

It truely was a fantastic day but I can say one thing for sure... I am just not used to so many little voices. My head was ringing and I was exhausted after that day. God bless teachers of anyone under 14. I know I couldn’t do it.

No comments: