Saturday, March 13, 2010

Taking some time off

I hate all those posts I see on people's blogs where they talk about why they haven't been posting for the last month. Well, maybe not hate, but why do they (we) do that? It isn't like anyone is waiting eagerly to see what the hell I've got to say. This is my place dangit, and I'll post when I've got something to say. That is... I'll post when I've got something to say or when Wifey says "hey, you haven't posted in a while - over a month actually - why is that?"

Guess I didn't realize how long it'd been. And to be honest, I didn't really have an answer at first. After thinking about it, I think I came up with something... not much has been going on lately. I use this space mostly to document events, or post pictures, and during the long days of late winter there hasn't been much to talk about other than the monumental snow or the stomach bug and/or strep throat constantly destroying weekend plans including a long-anticipated date night tonight. Yup, good fun at the ol' homestead.

There are some blog-potential events coming up soon. Today was supposed to be tryouts for JAM's first year of real baseball until three days of rain put a stop to that. We did start working out earlier this week though, that was awesome. I'm proud of him, he didn't lose that much over the winter, fielding-wise. Hitting is another story but I think some time at the batting cages will help with that. And I'm proud of me that I didn't get annoyingly upset when he was making mistakes. That's something I've been working hard on these last few years. Here's to progress! So as the spring moves along I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in real baseball. No more coaches on the field, no more machine pitch, real kids throwing real baseballs with real hits and real strikeouts. It'll be interesting to see how he deals with disappointment in front of peers in a competitive environment. We'll have our work cut out for us that's for sure.

I've got a trip coming up in a week that should be fun as long as I'm not sick as a dog when I'm supposed to leave. Unfortunately, Wifey and the kids aren't able to join me (we tried - 4 plane tickets were too expensive) but I'll be headed down to Orlando for four days for an e-Learning conference. Looking forward to hearing what other people in my field are doing in a pretty nice place - right across the street from Downtown Disney. Would have been heaven to have someone come hang out with the kids and have Wifey join me but we're not that lucky.

Red's b-day is coming up and poor Pudge keeps saying, pretty much every day, that it's Wifey's birthday because he knows his birthday can't come until after hers passes. Sorry kid, that ain't 'till November. :)

I did start something that I've been meaning to do for years. I bought a used guitar and our friend C took some time one night to begin my lessons. We'll see how the lessons go but I've been enjoying playing for about 20-30 minutes most nights. I must be doing something right because I pretty much can't feel the tips of my fingers on my left hand. Oh, and I can play Marry Had a Little Lamb, the whole C scale and about 4 chords. I know... Metallica will be calling me any day now.

That's it. Looking forward to some warmer days...

No comments: